“Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air. But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.” (1 Corinthians 9:24-27)
- To begin, have someone read the above verse.
- In these verses, Paul compares his life to a race, saying that he is running hard and training with a purpose. In other words, he has a plan – a specific goal – for where he is going.
- We too want to have a spiritual plan for our family. There’s an expression that says “If you aim at nothing you’ll hit it every time.” Let’s make sure we are aiming at something!
- So as we begin 2020, what values do we want to focus on and work on as a family for this year? Let’s look at the list below and think about what we need to work on and what we want to continue to keep as a priority in our home…
Teamwork Honesty Wisdom Structure
Integrity Fairness Balance Loyalty
Perfection Money Trust Love
Faith Fun Simplicity Courage
Commitment Growth Passion Joy
- Now here’s the fun part… we must pick only five words to be the top qualities we want to focus on in 2020! (take time now to discuss and then circle which are most important to your family and why; be sure to include everyone!)
- Write down your top five here…
- Let’s finish by reading Psalm 90:17 out loud. This psalm is a prayer asking God to show us His favor and to make our efforts effective as we strive to live for Him.
- If we are to live out these five qualities this coming year, it will only be because God gives us the desire and the power to do it (Phil 2:13).
- Let’s close in prayer, asking God to bless 2020 and enable us to live for His glory.