“Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.” – James 1:22
- ASK the family: Would you rather have someone say they were your friend (even if they were nice about it) or really show you that they were your friend? Why?
- ASK: What does the expression ‘Actions speak louder than words’ mean?
- Read Luke 6:46-49 aloud together.
- ASK the family: What did Jesus mean by His question, “Why do you call me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ and do not do what I say?” What does calling someone “Lord” mean? (master, ruler, in complete control)
- ASK: What might each man’s ‘house’ represent?
- ASK: Did both men hear God’s Words? (yes) What was the difference between them? (what they did with the words – one put them into practice, the other didn’t).
- Read (or assign a child to read) James 1:22 and then ASK: Is it enough to just read your Bible or hear a Sunday School lesson? What are we supposed to do with what we hear?
TABLE TALK (QUESTIONS TO DISCUSS AND WRAP UP)
- Both men also had to face a storm. What might the storm represent in our daily lives?
- How does obeying God’s Word help us survive life’s storms?
- Today’s big truth is: Only knowing God’s Word without applying it means we don’t know it the way God intends.
- Close your time in prayer, asking for God to give each of you the wisdom to apply God’s Word.