“And God saw everything that he had made, and behold, it was very good.” – Genesis 1:31
Question 5: What else did God create?
Answer: God created all things, and all his creation was very good.
Big Idea: God created everything—through the Son, in the power of the Spirit, and for His glory.
The aim of this week’s question is to help our kids have confidence in God as Creator and to understand His purposes in creation. We mentioned last week that they will certainly encounter the idea that the world came into existence by chance and that there is no intelligent design behind everything. Question 5 helps them think more deeply about the doctrine of creation out of nothing and that the world came into being through purposeful creation.
Some fun starter questions about God’s amazing creation could be…
- What is the deadliest animal in the world?
- What is the largest member of the cat family?
- What is the fastest land animal in the world?
- Name an animal that eats standing up.
- What animal can see through its eyelids?
- What animal does not have eyelids?
- Because of its bright color, this bird was named after fire.
- This animal can carry up to one thousand times its own body weight.
- Because of its speed and sense of direction, this animal has been used to carry important messages.
- If this animal loses a body part, that part will regenerate on its own.
Some major truths and questions to talk about related to Question 5 could be…
- Imagine being asked to bake a cake… but you had to make it from nothing! (no flour, milk, eggs, icing… absolutely nothing to start with!) Do you think you could do it?
- God is powerful enough and creative enough to create everything out of nothing (there was nothing coexisting with Him eternally). There was a time when the hills didn’t exist, when the sand didn’t exist, when the stars didn’t exist, etc.
- Creation comes out of God’s will and imagination, and He creates everything for Himself, with great meaning and purpose.
- Since the creation of the world, God has been intimately involved in His world; He didn’t just set it up and then retreat back to heaven, but rather is constantly sustaining everything in his world.
- Creation is intended to bring God glory and honor and praise. God delights in His creation, and we are invited to delight in it too. God has created a beautiful world for us to inhabit.
- What are some ways that creation reveals the nature and character of God?
- What parts of God’s creation bring you joy and cause you to praise God?
- While some people believe we evolved by accident, there are millions of people— even top scientists—who believe that the world came into being when God purposefully spoke it into existence.
- How would you explain your belief in a Creator God to your friends?