“You shall therefore love the Lord your God and keep his charge, his statutes, his rules, and his commandments always.” – Deuteronomy 11:1
[using the New City Catechism app…]
Question 6: How can we glorify God?
Answer: By loving him and by obeying his commands and law.
Big Idea: We glorify God by enjoying him, loving him, trusting him, and by obeying his will, commands, and law.
A super important question that every human being on the planet should eventually ask is, “Why am I here?” or “What is my purpose?” Thankfully, God didn’t leave us guessing! We were created by God to glorify Him. 1 Corinthians 10:31 says, “So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.“ One way we can glorify God is by growing in our knowledge of him as revealed in the Bible, and then living out what we read there. The more you know of Him, the more you will enjoy and worship Him.
Other ideas to go deeper…
1.) Discuss together the meaning of this statement by John Piper: “God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him.”
2.) Look up the following verses together to discover the one main purpose behind everything…
- Why did God send plagues against Pharaoh? Exodus 9:15-16
- What is the purpose of the universe? Psalm 19:1-4
- Why did God create us? Isaiah 43:6-7
- Why did God withhold His wrath from Israel? Isaiah 48:9-11
- Why was a man born blind? John 9:1-3
- What did Jesus pray for His followers? John 17:24
- What is the consequence of sin? Romans 3:23
- Why does God save us? Ephesians 1:11-12
- Why is Jesus coming back? 2 Thessalonians 1:9-10